Monday, March 10, 2008

In like a lion

This was Friday, March 7, in Dallas, Texas - the second time that week! Of course by the afternoon is was gorgeous and sunny, but it was still sight to wake up to.

My dad was here for a visit and managed to fly out before the weather got crummy. Hannah had a really good time hanging out with her Grandpop, and Andy and I enjoyed an afternoon of much-needed shopping without the baby. Now that she's walking, she won't stay in the stroller for very long and is quick to explore all of the trouble options at the stores! The three of us went to the opera on Saturday night, thanks to our friends Cynthia and Dean who were willing to be talked into babysitting Hannah for the night. She did us proud and behaved very well (read, went to sleep easily) and got a chance to practice her social skills by trying to steal Lukas' snacks! We saw Porgy and Bess, which I've never seen before. It's certainly a different experience than the more traditional operas I'm used to. I don't think it's my new favorite, but I'm glad that I've seen it.

Singing with Grandpop.
Holding hands for a stroll, what a treat!
Hannah is really enjoying being a toddler and sometimes seems to walk around the house just for the sake of taking the trip. Unexpected parent lesson - soft-soled footsteps are much quieter than crawling hand slaps. I used to be able to tell exactly where she was from the familiar slap, slap sound of her crawling, occasionally accompanied by loud whining. Now she's underfoot or in another room before I know it!
If she insists on carrying a purse, at least it's a drum!
We haven't heard any definitive words yet, but she's been mimicking me a lot lately and can sign "more" and "all done". Of course she signs "more" all day long. She seems to do it when she wants anything, food or otherwise, but I think she's also hungry from all the walking. She's also developed a pretty serious addiction to cheerios (rather the organic replacement from our local grocery). Not only do I have to try to keep her from seeing her snack cup, she'll get mad if she hears them rattle and she can't have any! But having a child who can communicate her needs and feed herself is pretty amazing to me. I'm reluctantly working on teaching her to use a spoon. This is one of those skills that I'd really like her to magically learn overnight. I don't have a lot of patience for the sloppy attempts. I'd rather just feed her and get it over with or give her finger food! Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Snack and a beverage to go.
The camera apparently needs some yogurt.
Strangers like to comment on her thumb sucking,
but no one tell's me she needs to eat more!
It's been a while, so I know I rambled on a bit. Andy's mom, Karen, is coming this week, which I'm really looking forward to. She and I have been putting in long hours trying to plan the LeCuyer summer trip to Maine, and it will be nice to talk in person. And maybe even about something other than numbers of bathrooms and limited water views!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Wow! I never did see snow in Dallas the whole 2 years we lived there. Also, Hannah is getting extra cute. I too had issues with the messy spoon-learning, but eventually I just had to give it up and let the kid spread yogurt/mashed potatoes/hummus everywhere.

Amy said...

No hints or suggestions about the self-feeding, but do stock up on stain remover! I can't believe how much of that stuff we go through.

Hannah is a doll.