Monday, August 18, 2008

Catch up: the facts

Some event-type things that I've missed... (more random cute photos at the bottom if you want to skip to the good stuff)


Lakewood 4th of July Parade

Andy's parents came for a great long-weekend visit in July. It was good and hot, but we had fun going to the Dallas World Aquarium and getting out for early walks. From her early months, Hannah's had a sweet spot in her heart for men, so true to form, Grandpa was her new best friend. She also enjoyed some great floor time with Grandma, and I really enjoyed being off-duty for a while!

We also spent a lovely weekend in Austin visiting friends and getting in some Town Lake (guess it's Lady Bird Lake, now!) and Barton Springs time. Our good friends Mike and Leslin were gracious enough to let us crash at Mike's place, even with the toddler in tow! They're training for Ironman number 5, so they were nice enough not to wake Hannah when they got up at some insanely early hour to run very far! We also enjoyed a wonderful meal with newlyweds Liz and Sascha at their renovation-in-process home. Hannah was an angel and went to sleep in the back while we were able to stay late and chat. What a gift!

Hannah and I just got back from a trip to Flagstaff to hang out with my parents, but that'll be a separate entry...

In mama news, Hannah's going to go to Mothers' Day Out two days a week this fall, and I'm going to teach a whopping 5 hours a week!

On Mondays, I'll teach a little babies and parents music class with a program that's already been started by a neighbor mom and her friend. It's called Rhythm and Rhyme: Movement and Music for Youngsters, and they ran a really successful program last year. I'm pretty impressed with their curriculum and am excited to join them. They weren't offering a class for pre-walkers anymore, and I realized that doing a toddler class in my house is more than I want to deal with, so I threw the idea their way. We're still waiting for enough enrollment (if you live in Dallas - I'd be glad to send you a flier!), but I think it will be fun.

The real "bulk" of my workload will be two 2-hour days teaching at Hannah's MDO at Church of the Incarnation, an Episcopal church nearby. I really like the director, the program is in a great upward transition, and I get a sweet deal on Hannah's tuition for working there. I'm excited to get to work with kids as old as 4! One of many examples of how motherhood's changed me - I used to dread Kindergarten every year. Really wanted the teachers to just keep them until around November when they'd learned to be students and real people. Now I'm thrilled to work with the big 4-year-olds - woo hoo!

Mama's bike jersey - we've been doing more family rides with the trailer and Andy's new smokin' "Dad bike." (An excuse to buy another really good bike that's better for pulling the trailer. He works his butt off and bikes a ton of miles on his road bike - he deserves it!


As close as Hannah will let me get to the piano.

Morning paper - a rare moment of not hounding us for breakfast!

Not sure how to type this sound - imagine "moo" with your mouth closed. It's the sound a dog makes, a cow, and apprently sometimes a baby.

Fashionista! All put on at her request. I see tutus and boots in Winter in our future.

Parting shot.

No comments: